Friday, May 27, 2011

Tea and Crumpets

So today we had a very London-y day. It started with high tea at the Kensington Orangery. We all decided to get dressed up to go and I borrowed a dress from Cali and shoes from Ellie. I really have the nicest roommates ever and I looked pretty cute, if I do say so myself.

So this is the mirror that we pass on the way out of our flat every morning. It has been effectionatly named the Vanity Mirror, and you can see why!

So Kensington Palace is in Hyde Park so it was just a little walk over. The Orangery is beautiful and it was really fun.

We didn't actually have tea and crumpets, we had hot chocolate and fruit scones with clotted cream and jam. So everyone has told me that you have to have clotted cream, so I did. It sounds disgusting but it really was good but not what i expected. I thought it would be some kind of whipped cream but its more like really good butter.

So besides being overprice it was a really fun experience.


After tea we went home to get some homework done. boring. but then we went to the National Theater to buy tickets for a show that night. We got our tickets and walked to Borough Market.

It's basically just like the local market. A lot of food, fruits and veggies and flowers. But there was also things that I wouldn't usually see at a market like strange fish and mushrooms.


The best thing was this stand that had hot meat sandwiches. So I had a chicken one and it was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. The guy making it was really nice to me too and was being really funny so the whole experience was fun.

We ended our Borough Market experience with really good cheesecake. Mine was caramel apple cheesecake.

After that we went back to Camden market so Ellie could get a shirt that she just couldn't get her mind off of. While we were there I found a really cute dress that feels awesome. Anyone who has been shopping with me knows that I have to touch everything as I pass and that's exactly how I found this dress. It felt really soft so I stopped and it was really cute and unbelievably long enough! :) so with my awesome negotiating skills I got him way down to a price I was willing to pay.

After the market we went to the National Theater to see London Road. So we went early and listened to the live entertainment. It was really fun because that is what people do here, and it was a Jazz group and they were pretty good.

The show was really interesting. It was a musical where it was all sung verbatium. So there were a lot of umm's sung which was something I've never heard before. It was a play about the people on London road where back in 2006 5 murders took place. So it was really interesting because it was more of a history than a typical story line of a play. The music for it was amazing. There was a lot of dissonance and really I can't even explain it because it's not like anything I've ever seen before.

It was also an new experience because we bought standing room tickets. So we stood through a whole 2ish hour play, it was not fun considering we had been walking around all day. So this is us sitting on the ground during intermission.

I'm not sure I would recommend this play to anyone but I really enjoyed it. I know that sounds funny but I think it would be very hit or miss. Overall great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment